Thursday, January 23, 2014

Mabel

As the youngest of nine children, I was often accused of being the "spoiled baby" of the family. I have never understood why my siblings would take it out on me, though, since I had nothing to do with either being the last born or having (alleged) extra attention paid to me.

Whatever their reasons, I think I now understand why parents might dote on their youngest more than the others. It's not because the baby is smarter or better looking than the older sibs (well, that may have been the case in my family, but anyway...) It's because getting older means life gets more complicated. And so too does the teen or young adult going through those awkward stages. We parents are simply trying to cling to the innocence of the younger years. Let's face it: while it might be sweet to hear your 4-year-old tell you about all the boys who kissed her at recess, it's not cute anymore when it's your 14-year-old telling you the same thing. And the schoolyard problems of the 8-year-old have far fewer long-lasting consequences than the teen whose highschool is in the downtown core and across the street from a methadone clinic.

I now have one kid fully entrenched in the drama and hardships of adolescence and another banging on its door. So it is understandable that I might indulge my not quite 10 year old and her childhood whims. "Mom, will you colour with me?" Absolutely! Break out the crayons. "Can you build a snowman with me?" Let me get my boots on. "Mom will you lie down with me when you tuck me in tonight?" I would love to, the laundry can wait. "Mom, will you watch 'Dog With a Blog' with me?" Okay, so maybe not all her whims.

Anyway, before she left for school this morning, Willa didn't ask but told me I had to look after Mabel. Is Mabel her sick guinea pig or pet goldfish, you ask? No, she is one of Willa's many baby dolls. Not just any baby doll, Mabel is the one that Willa fell in love with the moment her sensor-embedded bottom touched her sensor-receptive potty and made a tinkling sound. Bob and I have been charged with Mabel's care before and since she is an exceptionally well-behaved baby doll, I agreed to look after her again today. And so I find myself with Mabel.

When Willa asks me to look after her baby, I don't just put it out of my mind until she walks through the door after school. Nope, this mom brings Mabel with her around the house to engage and stimulate her tiny mind. We read stories, do laundry, wash dishes, maybe have a playdate and occasionally get some work done at the computer. You may wonder if I actually accomplish anything on these days. Well, no, not much really... But I document what I've done with Mabel so Willa can have a good idea of how Mabel's day went. (All the best daycares do this, I'm told.) Besides, Willa loves to see the pictures of Mabel's day and I love to see the smile on Willa's face when she looks through them.

After all, if I am trying to hang on to the sweetness of my baby's childhood for as long as I can, what's the harm in indulging in it myself? I can't keep her from growing up and all too soon she won't be so eager to play with me. So I will revel in it while I can. I will colour with her, play hairdresser, make snow angels and drink hot chocolate with marshmallows. And if my kids can't stay young forever, I suppose I will always have Mabel!

You can check out Mabel's day here.

Happy sweeping!

Kathleen Gunther
Editor, ContestHound.ca