Tuesday, March 25, 2014

March Break

Well, we survived March Break here at ContestHound. Because we are a home-run business, we had our three lovelies home with us for the entire week. We certainly didn’t get as much work done during the week as we normally would, but we’ve never really had too much problem keeping them entertained. Mostly because they’ve always been good at entertaining themselves.

So what did our kids do during their 10 long days? Besides our regular karate and mom-torturing kick boxing classes, there were visits with friends, a trip to the toy store, hours spent texting and face-timing, and the mandatory outside play that I enforced every day. Milo also spent three nights with a good friend at a cottage on Lake Huron, which was unquestionably the best part for him.

The best part for me, however, was Milo and Willa “camping out” in the living room for the first half of the week. Willa had a friend stay the night the first weekend of the break and, instead of putting the sleeping bags away (or perhaps to get out of that chore), she asked if she and Milo could have a sleepover too. I thought this was pretty sweet: I’ve always loved that these two play so well together (when they’re not fighting, of course) and I rarely object or interrupt when I witness it. I’m surprised and thankful that, at 11-1/2 and 10 years old, they’re still such good friends and include each other. Apparently Milo was thinking the same thing. "We should do this every night for March Break, Willa. ‘Cause when I’m 12, I probably won’t want to anymore."

Although I didn’t sense any disappointment or hurt feelings from Willa, I decided to camp out with her while Milo was away. Because, just as you hit an age to be too old for something, you will hit another age where you’re never too old for it!

Happy Sweeping,

Kathleen Gunther
Editor, ContestHound.com